Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Treasure Hunt

     This past weekend I went out thrifting with a friend who normally shies away from thrift stores.  I tried to recruit her to the thrifting side by taking her down isles and pointing out the amazing "stuff" I was finding.  She did not share my enthusiasm and we stared into each other's eyes trying to relate to one another.  And the truth is, she is one of my best friends, but we may not share this treasure hunting passion.  And that's ok.  This way of shopping is not for everyone.  My friend explained that when looking at a tarnished bowl, she does not see all the possibilities, does not understand or care about patina, instead she sees an old rusty bowl.  I get it.  And I appreciate the time she took to try to connect with this passion of mine.

Here are some of the treasures I have found.
I love this pitcher!  So beautiful with the faded pink blossoms on the front.  Pottery and dishes are common finds at thrift stores.  If you enjoy piecing your collection a little bit at a time, you can find gorgeous pieces that you may not have been able to afford at regular price.
Here is another piece of dishware that would work so well on a dinner table.  Not only is it a shade that can coordinate with so many patterns and colors... it has the lid!  Finding an item with a lid intact brings a smile to my face. 
 





Another common find at thrift stores is mirrors.  Large and small and in so many styles.  You can look for small mirrors to create a grouping, or you can find large mirrors with a beveled cut and a chunky frame to go above the couch or fireplace.





Don't forget art work.  Many times you can find original art, oil paintings as well as framed art.  The styles will vary and it may take a little more time to find a picture with your colors and motif.  But to snub the artwork thinking it is all going to be outdated is a mistake.  People are constantly changing out the art in their homes.
Silver is another deal that shocks most people.  You can find silverware, platters, and bowls.  I like to mix the patterns, so finding a piece here and there just makes my collection more interesting.  I always keep a look out for big serving spoons, you can't have too many of those...
ok, maybe you can....
 
Special thanks goes out to Nina for helping me photograph these pieces.  It was fun scrambling around Georgetown to get these shots.
We even found an old abandoned barn to explore!
 
More about that adventure on another day. 
 
Next, I will be heading to Round Top!  I am so excited!  I will be ready to share tons of great ideas and finds with you next week.  I will also continue to feature items I plan to have in my booth at the May market.  Each of the items above are available as well.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Your enthusiasm definitely made me look at items differently! Your passion is infectious! Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete