Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A New Normal

"If your dreams don't scare you a little bit, you're probably not dreaming big enough" Courtney Kerr

I am stepping out of my comfort zone.  I am turning my back on my predictable life.  I am looking to new things, different ideas, and  the possibility of a new normal.  I have decided to turn my hobby in to something more.  I have a passion for 2nd chances, making the old new and for finding value and beauty in the cast away furniture that often makes it to the curb.

I am excited because this passion is taking the form of a small business called Curbside Revival.  Over the past several years, I have had an obsession with thrift shopping.  As I walked the isles of countless thift stores and garage sales, I saw unwanted furniture.  Immediately my mind would envision what each piece could be with a little cleaning, repairing, and painting.  I began to try out my ideas in my own home and the homes of friends and family.  I began to learn about the types of paints and finishes, words like patina, and pantone. I began to have cravings for paint, sanders, and waxes.  I developed a preference for certain brushes.  I even noticed my eye wandering during movies and television shows from the actors to the furniture in the setting!  CRAAZAAY!

I hope you will join me on this journey of learning more about refurbishing furniture and turning it into a small business.  In future posts I will tell you about dealing with customers, setting prices, and even the exciting opportunity to work in an established boutique!  I would also love to hear any advice you may have on starting a small business or working with furniture.  

4 comments:

  1. Do WHAT you LOVE...LOVE what you do!
    You go girl! I love the new name for your newest adventure...
    You got this and just go for it! Your energy is contagious and I think I just caught something....gotta go make something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Kelly! ANYTHING you put your mind to, you can ACHIEVE!! I am so excited to see where your adventure takes you. The sky is the limit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Amanda! I am hoping for the very best with your new business as well!

    ReplyDelete