Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Celebration of Flaws

This week I have had some defining moments in my drive to get  Curbside Revival started.  I am still in that unsure stage where things can easily send me questioning myself and my decisions. I am not thrilled to be in this stage because it is uncomfortable; I am in a teaching career where I feel very comfortable and confident in my daily choices.... and I like it that way.  But with Curbside,  I find myself always asking the same questions: what is the next step? am I doing this right? I think this looks good, what do others think?  The eternal dance of two steps forward one step back.  This dance makes for slow progress, and I'm the type of girl who likes a clear plan and has a desire to get goin'.

And so far I have been getting outstanding feedback and support from everyone around me.  I am a lucky girl to have family and friends who are so supportive of me.  But this week I faced a first with Curbside, a real decision to head down one path or the other.  Am I going to only buy furniture that is in pristine condition?  Am I going to fill in and sand out every notch?  Am I going to cover any trace of a past life and restore each piece to a brand new state?  There's nothing wrong with any of that.  Many refurbishers (is that a word?) would think of nothing less.  But in a weird sort of way, I feel like that would be turning my back on so many wonderful opportunities to work with amazing pieces.  I do want to restore furniture, but I do not necessarily want to cover up all flaws.  After all, many times, it is the slight flaw that brings out the character and history of the piece (I find this true in people as well.)  I do want to bring the pieces back to life, fix things that need fixing, paint the parts that need painting, figure out the perfect make-over so that I can then find a new home for this once discarded piece of furniture.  I want others to see the beauty in the make-over but also the character in the flaw.  I want others to appreciate this one-of-a-kind look, that they will not find in any department store.  After all, isn't this "Curbside Revival?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment